Skip to main content

Swap your home

A mutual exchange is where two or more tenants swap their homes and tenancies with the agreement of their landlord.

With permission you can swap your home with:

  • another tenant of The Community Housing Group
  • a tenant of another housing association
  • a tenant of a local authority,

If you are interested in exchanging your home, please get in touch with us at or call 0800 169 5454.

Before you consider a mutual exchange, it is important that you fully understand the implications and what is involved.

Who can do a mutual exchange?

You can do a mutual exchange if you are an assured lifetime tenant of The Community Housing Group.

If you are an assured shorthold tenant (starter tenancy), you do not have the right to exchange during the starter period of the tenancy.

How do I find someone to exchange with?

The Community Housing Group promotes opportunities for exchange through Homeswapper which is free of charge to its tenants.

This is a national exchange register that will allow you to advertise your own property to other tenants who may be interested in exchanging homes with you. It will also give you details of tenants from all over the country who are looking to exchange their homes.

To use this, you will need to register online with them. To find out more about the process, visit their website at for further information, or you can contact us at